Submitted: 08-09-2004 by MRK

This was my first Kayak Purchase. I was looking for a recreational kayak with a little more functionality, just in case I wanted to go on a weekend trip or maybe on some class II water.

I agree with another review that you should definitely demo the kayak before you decide upon one. I bought mine from Jersey Paddler in Brick, NJ. They let you demo several kayaks. I demo’d the Necky Manitou, the Dagger Element, and the Jolt 116. The Necky Manitou was the closest in comparison.

I picked the Capri Tour because I really liked the way that it tracked (even w/out the optional rudder) and I had really good speed. The cockpit was very comfortable, and I like the thigh braces, which most other kayaks did not have in this class. Also the storage area is 5300 sq in, which is much larger then any I looked at. The Kayak is made of HTP, which is a high performance polyethylene. It is lightweight and easy for me to get on and off my truck.

The only strange thing I found about this kayak was that Prijon rated this kayak for paddlers up to 180 lbs? I am 5’11” 195lbs and I have no problems with this kayak. If you compare to others in this class/size they rate them up to 250-300lbs. I may add more after I have had the kayak for a longer time.

Silverfish