Submitted: 08-09-2004 by jah

I'm going on my third year with my plastic Eclipse, which I bought used out of a rental fleet, and I still love it! Before I bought the Eclipse, I tried out a number of other boats on tours, and the only one I would have considered buying was a Cape Horn 17 Pro (composite), but having paddled them both in some rough conditions on the Chesapeake Bay, I had more faith in the Eclipse's ability to handle the chop. I find the boat relatively easy to handle on the water, though it is heavy on land. Tracking is easy with the rudder, and the boat's speed makes it easy to turn as well - in fact, I've found that with a decent hull speed a canoe type turn works well: just drop a paddle blade in at the side and pry. The hatches do a good job of keeping stuff dry. The only thing that would be better would be a composite boat (or maybe the new Airalite model) - so one of these days when I can scrape the funds together I'll make the upgrade!