Submitted: 08-06-2004 by ImpalaBob

My wife and I recently purchased a Charleston 14 and 15 after 1 month of demos and talking to a lot of sales people. I am 6' 2" and finding a kayak that fit was a real task. After finding the perfect kayaks for us (Tempest 170 and 180 Pros) we decided to start with more basic kayaks to develop our paddling skills. The Charlestons definitly fill the bill. They are stable yet nimble and work great for day trips around the local lakes. The skegs work great for those long straight legs and windy days, and I hope to add cleats for skeg depth adjustments. For now, they both fit in the back of the pickup with the tailgate down while we shop for a trailer capable of handling the future Tempest Pros. During the purchase we were suprised to see that the Charlestons are not in the 2005 Dagger line up. Hopefully that will work to our advatage when we decide to trade up as these are really great entry level day touring kayaks that can take some moderate abuse. Being able to launch the wife, then stradle my kayak, sit down, and then get my legs in makes launching a breeze and will definitly lessen the abuse on our new Swift graphite shaft paddles.