Submitted: 08-05-2004 by jpjurrens

Had refined my rec boat search to the Necky Manitou and the CD Kestrel. $50 difference on the price tags. Similar lengths. Test paddled nearly the same. Most noticeable was the smaller cockpit on the Necky. Came down to deciding whether I wanted the larger cockpit or not. Sounds simple right? Like many, I had the long tourer mind, but the rec boat reality. The Kestrel won with it's ease of entry, smaller price tag, swift paddle and easier storage. I've paddled in light chop (winds ~10mph on large inland lake) and found it's stability to be very comforting. It is highly manueverable, but tracks suprisingly well. Negatives include the rather generic seating in the cockpit. With some minicell and home-made thigh bracing, it's been much better. It is a really great little boat....I would definately recommend it. If your looking to get the biggest bang for your money in a rec boat.