Submitted: 08-04-2004 by gbn2

I bought the Cobra Eliminator because I was at Lake Tahoe on vacation, didn't have any of my boats with me, and had a chance to get a demo Eliminator at a good price. I've had it for three weeks and it's been the kayak of choice ever since. But, it takes a little getting used to. In my experience, it's a dry ride up to about 6" chop, takes an occasional slurp at 1', and over 1 1/2' requires serious attention to avoid a capsize. Longer period waves (e.g. big lake or ocean swell) should be less of a problem. A little dicey in following seas. On flat water, the stability is fine. The shape of the hull actually seems to encourage good paddling style with blade entry close to the narrow hull and strong torso rotation. The self-bailer is a great feature. I haven't had any trouble getting back in and paddling the boat dry quickly after my two capsizes.

My only negatives are that the boat with rudder weighs about 10 lbs. more than its advertised 42 lbs. (Cobra says they beefed up the hull and haven't changed the advertised specs) and I'd like to see an attachment point in the bow for a rope for more secure roof rack transport.

Danuu Kayak Covers: