Submitted: 08-04-2004 by softsmithjr
Current Designs Solstice GT - After several years of longing for a lighter/faster replacement for my poly boat (CD Storm)I elected to go with the Solstice GT in Kevlar. I have evaluated dozens of different glass boats and really liked the Cape Horn, Tempest and especially liked the CD Gulfstream. Did I mention that I'm a pretty big guy at 6' 1"/ 250lbs. Getting in and out, comfort on long rides (> 4 hours)and ease of use putting the boat on the car etc. were my primary considerations. The solstice is a 10 in each catagory. When you add the ability to accelerate and paddle faster than I have ever paddled before with greater ease for longer periods of time it's just frosting on the cake. It is a bit slow turning but that's not a major concern of mine. Probably the best compromise of stability and speed in a high performance boat on the market today. I hope to enjoy it for many years to come. PS - I chose the Solstice over the Gulfstream since I still consider myself to be an intermediate and want the ability to drop the rudder in following seas. The secondary stability of the Solstice leaves the Gulfstream in the dust (at my experience level) giving a great feeling of confidence in bad conditions.

PS/PS If you are big -try the GT before opting for the GT High Volume or even the XT. I'm not sure why it is but the GT handles like a completely different boat, much more satisfying in my opinion.

Pygmy Boats: