Submitted: 08-04-2004 by wilsoj2
This is a follow-up review as I have now had my Aquanaut long enough to have paddled it in many differing conditions on the Maine coast and Lake George.

The Aquanaut is an absolutely confident boat in challenging conditions. It feels as if it can handle anything with aplomb. It has very smooth transitions through the water. It likes being on its side. I find I’ve dropped the coaming into the water with the slightest lean.

A neoprene deck and tunnel skirt should come as standard equipment. Not only is the coaming in the water on a moderate lean, but the bow cuts through much small to moderate chop resulting in water hitting the cockpit and paddler more often than in most boats. The boat tracks very well. I believe it tracks better than the Explorer. It has much less rocker than an Explorer and handles following seas the best of any boat I’ve tried. It turns easily and is fine with either inside or outside lean – though it does prefer outside. The Aquanaut has a very active hull with rock solid secondary stability. It also seems to have very good glide. It is a pretty fast boat. It is noticeably faster than an Explorer and only slightly initially slower than a Nordkapp.

The joke that it should have been named the “Nordnaut” is apt (though I think Aquakapp would be more entertaining) as the general feel of the Aquanaut is very close to that of the new Nordkapp H2O. The Aquanaut has a longer narrower waterline than the Nordkapp. The Nordkapp has higher decks, is quicker, and has a bit lighter initial stability. The Aquanaut is very responsive without feeling quite as tender as the Nordkapp. My preference is for the lower decks of the Aquanaut.

The build quality and finish on my Aquanaut is beautiful. The new Valley backband is very good. The new Valley plastic seat is not. If ordering composite Valley boat, I suggest specifying the ‘old’ glass seat. Sea Kayaker put it best: “Fast, yet maneuverable. A top choice for the adventuresome intermediate to advanced paddler.”