Submitted: 08-03-2004 by epf

I recently purchased a used Skerry RM (modified ocean cockpit) from Atlantic Kayak Tours. Back to the Skerry. I had been looking for a kayak for months but couldn't find one that fit me well and felt good (6'2", 195#, size 12 shoe). The Skerry fits perfectly and is a joy to paddle. I have used the boat in a wide range of conditions - from calm days on the sound to days where the wind was blowing 30kts and the waves were 3+ feet. The stability of the Skerry in rough conditions is incredible - it inspires confidence. The hull has a good amount of rocker, so it is influenced by strong winds. The boat responds beautifully to edging and corrective strokes making wind a small annoyance, not a major problem, but you have to work. I have not used the skeg yet, and that is a good thing. The only possible fault on this kayak is the mechanism for controlling the skeg - a line passed through a jam cleat. There is virtually no feel - the only two skeg positions I can be certain of are retracted and completely extended. This is a small problem however and I hve some ideas to remedy it.

The boat is a tremenous amount of fun to paddle - it turns on a dime, accelerates well, and can be pressed to the very edge of balance without feeling unstable. Can't wait to take this boat out into the surf. If you are looking for a high quality kayak that is a blast to paddle and easily accomadates larger paddlers look into the Skerry.