Submitted: 08-02-2004 by peter_k
I paddled an Epic full carbon (no gelcoat) boat today. First thing is I was very comfy in it and I have big thighs. No extra room but I was comfy. Second thing: it is fast.. third thing I found it quite stable. Note: I only paddled in on flat water in about 15 knot gusts) I did play on the edge quite a bit, and found it easy to work there.

Carved turns surprisingly well but the rudder was a big help in the wind. Once turning had started the boat wanted to keep turning even when brought back to an even keel. This boat was easier to turn for me than the CD caribou but did not stop turning as crisply, or track as well. If I get this boat I will get a rudder and the trim tab adjustment and use it exclusively. I also need to raise the pedal height but that is down to me not Epic. I wonder if I could get the trim tab and leave the toe pilots out ( I know it is not standard design but... I will paddle this boat soon in conditions, and if I decide I need a fast sit in boat it's likely to be purchased.

Seat back is quite sad but what do you expect. It is way too tall and way to flimsy. I doubt that seat backs are a big concern of Greg or Oscar. The boat rolled OK but did not pop up like the romany explorer does (few boats do.) Weathercocking was noticable but not outrageous. The reason I would get a rudder is because of the boats tendancy to keep turning. I was very pleased with the lack of drag fron the sealline rudder.

Overall, I was quite pleased, and very pleasantly surprised at the boats ability to carve I weigh 225 have snort legs and have been working at improving my paddling skills for about 4 years three of them year round.