Submitted: 07-29-2004 by humahuma7

Here we go...After trying out a 12' kayak at a demonstration at a local lake from an outfitter, then a 14', which was much better I figgured if 14 is better than 12, than 15 and a half would be even better so I tried the Bimini and loved it. I then thought, well 16' would be better yet. I went to the Kayak store and someone was selling a used 16' Tarpon, completely outfitted with lots of gear and an inflatable seat, anchor etc and even a carbon fiber paddle for $900.00 I thought it was an excellent buy and took a chance. Well was I thrilled, as it was my first Kayak I've ever owned. I have been out 5 times in the canals on Siesta Key and I am getting better and better. The rudder is excellent and I would not even buy a Kayak without a rudder, it really makes a difference in turning and handling as I use my feet to guide the Kayak under the small bridges around here. This Tarpon tracks extremely straight and is very comfortable as my first trip in it was 4 hours and I didnt even get tired. The paddling was really easy with the carbon paddle, which I would buy again, and the boat was really fast, I would guess I cruised along at about 5 knots, or mph. It was effortless paddling considering I am a woman and this was my first time out. Next time I will try the bay. A few power boats passed me in the canals and they kicked up quite a few waves, even thou it was a no wake zone, and the Tarpon stayed dry and I was able to stay steady and kept paddling. I was really amazed and ready to buy a second Kayak for my husband, as company would be fun. I would recommend the Tarpon to any first time Kayaker or even experienced one. I am thrilled and pleased with the boat. I am now buying up accessories, and ready to find a Kayak club out there. Any one know of any in Sarasota area?