Submitted: 07-28-2004 by KSH

Nice boat. I rented a 2003 model and really enjoyed my time with the boat. I am relatively large at 6'5", 265# and size 15 shoes. I have been searching for a good basic kayak and may have just found it. The kayak fit me well enough as long as I wore close fitting water shoes. My Tevas are too long to allow my feet to fit in at all. With the water shoes, I could get comfortable even if I do not have a lot of foot position options.

I do not have a lot of kayaking experience, but this boat handles well (I was on relatively calm waters) and has good speed for a plastic boat. I did not have a spray skirt on, but was able to lean and hold the boat so that the water was at the edge of the cockpit. I found the boat to be very stable. The storage capacity is also a nice feature. I prefer the upgrades that Perception has put on the 2004 model (rather than the older style on the rental I had), the dual density hatches, upgraded seat and movement of the seat back adjustment mechanism to the thigh brace rather than in the mid cockpit side location. While the boat is a bit heavier than some smaller boats, it was easy enough to get off the truck, carry to the water and reload on the truck single handed.

While I may one day build a Pygmy Arctic Tern High, which would provide a bit more foot room, I think that the Carolina 16 is a very nice plastic boat. I am still evaluating my options, but I may well buy a Carolina 16.