Submitted: 07-20-2004 by ianthesailor

Highly recommended. Inflatable kayaks are relatively new to me. My first was a Sevylor Tahiti, which was a fun toy but not very durable - didn't like the sun (tubes easily became overinflated & then permanently misshapen) and always scared of punctures. The SVX200 was my second IK and is leagues better, both to use and in terms of durability.

BAD BITS - it is pretty heavy, but that is a consequence of the tough construction; water collects in the seam down the middle of the floor (and has no way to drain); valves seem a bit flimsy but have never actually been a problem.

GOOD BITS - fits easily in the back of a small car, so you can take it anywhere; easy to launch even off quite a high riverbank; paddles pretty straight; immensely stable (confidence-inspiring in newcomers and children); seats good and much better than inflatable ones that come with Tahiti, especially if you set the straps up so the backrest tilts slightly forward (and I'm going to try the foam float underneath trick suggested by previous reveiwer); looks good on the water.

Back of car to water in less than ten minutes which I think is good. I also use it as a tender to my yacht when there are only two of us - much quicker to inflate than normal dinghy. For the price I don't think anything else touches it.