Submitted: 07-19-2004 by xchefjeff

I've had my rotomolded Avatar for about a month now, and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. It's fast, tracks well with the skeg down and turns very well when thrown up on its edge. Not the most initial stability but you do have to make trade-offs for the speed and manuverability that the boat exhibits. Very good secondary stability and fairly easy to role if you do push it a little too far. The hull design handles chop and wind very well. So far my dry storage areas have remained exactly that: dry. Plenty of storage for an extended weekend camping trip, but I'd like a little more for week long or greater trips.

Unlike the previous reviewer, I find the outfitting of the cockpit just about perfect. The seat is comfortable and the thigh pads are placed just where I want them. It would be nice if the foot pegs were adjustable while paddling like the ones in Wilderness Systems boats, but you can't have everything.

I'm 5'6" tall, about 165 pounds with a size 9 foot. I can see how someone who is quite a bit taller may feel a bit cramped, especially if they have fairly big feet.

All in all, a really good boat for someone looking for a fast and manuverable touring kayak. Maybe not the best first boat for someone just getting into the sport, due to its lower level of initial stability and fairly snug cockpit, but a great boat for someone looking to take their paddling skills up a notch or two.

Talic: