Submitted: 07-16-2004 by conk
I introduced myself to kayaking with the purchase of a Dagger Blackwater 12.5. After three years I wanted to step up to something longer, faster, and sexier but most of all I needed more cargo space for camping trips. I test paddled 7 different touring kayaks all plastic boats between 14 and 16 feet long priced under $1000.00 a self imposed limit. The Capelookout 155 won this competition with the Carolina 14.5 the only boat making it a tough decision.

I am 5-9 175 lbs and fit the molded thigh braces in the cockpit nicely. I can lean this boat within inches of the combing. This ability along with the rocker of the hull makes it quite maneuverable. I have no trouble tracking a straight course and do not feel I would want the optional rudder. The phase 3 seat is a big plus for my lower back. I have made two 4 day camping trips in the Adirondacks since I bought my lookout in May. It holds all my gear nicely but I wish the front cargo hatch was a tad larger, plenty of room but hard to load. The front deck rigging could also be more extensive coming closer to the cockpit.

Happy with my red Capelookout. Longer, faster, and much sexier than my Blackwater.