Submitted: 07-14-2004 by tinkerbell

I really have to say that I am quite pleased with my T-140. I purchased it after a fairly exhaustive search of boats, both canoes and kayaks. I chose the Tarpon because it seemed to have the best of most of the required elements on my list. Realizing that there is no one perfect boat, the T-140 does a very good job of coming close for me. I went with the 140 over the 160 because I do mostly creeks and rivers and the shorter length with the more pronounced rocker of the 140 won me over. I also like the tankwell; it is like a water pickup truck. I only go out for 3-4 days at a time and the dry storage along with the tankwell provide more than enough room for all of my stuff. I guess storage space adequacy depends on where you come from and coming from a backpacking mentality there is a lot of room for gear! I have found the boat to track well and turn quickly. It is stable enough without being a barge. I am 6' 3" and weigh 250 lbs and the boat does keep water in the cockpit with me. It is only about a half-inch and the seat stays dry and the day hatch is never in trouble of being submerged. I can eleiminate all of this by plugging the four lower cockpit holes with practice foam golf balls. I always leave the two holes behind the seat and in the tankwell open. I only give it an 8 because I think WS could have done a better job with the rear hatch access. It provides access to a large compartment, but the hole should be/could be bigger. Additionally, the foot brace rails come not mounted all the way forward in the cockpit. I moved mine all the way forward. It was easy enough to do, but it seems like they should have been taht way all along. I also added thigh straps, a grande thermarest seat pad, and a backrest pad. It is very comfortable for the long haul. My boat does not have a rudder and I have not missed it. It is easy enough to turn without one. I guess it is a little on the heavy side, but at this stage of my life the weight is not an issue. They say that it is possible to roll, but I have tried a bunch and have not done it yet. It certainly is very easy to get on and off and it is stable enough to stand in. Overall, a great boat.

Sealline: