Submitted: 07-12-2004 by kayakangler

This is my first sit inside kayak. I have owned several touring sit on tops. The Loon 138 is a great kayak for day touring/fishing. It's stable, reasonably fast, tracks well, manuevers easily and looks great. The cockpit is very comfortable and fits me at 6'2 and 220 lbs very well.

Stability: I was a bit nervous about using a sit inside for the first time, but found the boat as stable as any of the sit on tops I have used. I was soon cavorting in boats wakes, chop and had no problems. I think you would have to work to dump this boat.

Speed: At least as fast as my 15' Scupper Pro and close to my 16'Tarpon. It covers alot of water surprisingly quick. I would look at a point down the shore and just paddle along and the next thing I knew I was there. I doesn't require much effort to move this boat after you get to cruising speed.

Tracking: Tracks like it's on rails. Very few corrective strokes needed. Seemingly unaffected by winds or following seas. Glides quite well.

Manuevering: Turns easily with just a sweep stroke or two. Will do a 180 in tight creeks in a few strokes.

Fit and Finish: Comes rigged with a forward deck bungee. A rear deck bungee would be nice, but it doesn't have one, thoug one could certainly be added. There is a provision for a rear hatch if you want one. Seat is very comfortable. I've had problems with my right leg going numb without additional padding in my other boats not so with this seat. Just make sure you get your seat adjusted before you get on the water as you won't be adjusting it again until you hit dry land. Footpegs are super easy to adjust on the water. The Polylink 3 makes a nice finish on the boat. The skid plate on the stern is a nice touch!

Cargo Capacity: You can get alot of stuff under the forward and rear decks. I typically take a small cooler, dry bags, extra paddle, flyrod and tackle, picnic lunch, a hammock or small folding chair. There's plenty of room left over. I believe you could easily do an overnight with this boat.

Overall I'm very pleased with this kayak. I have been using it almost exclusively and am now considering selling my sit on tops because this kayak is such a pleasure to paddle. You get a lot of boat for the money.