Submitted: 07-12-2004 by Grimm

The wife and I bought two kayaks last weekend, the Element and a Walden Vista (see other review). I like a lot about the Element. It is a recreational boat and does what a recreational boat should do....all things equally okay. The price was great. The bow and raised front of cockpit are nice. The large cockpit is great and has a very comfy seat (very easy to adjust, too). The weight is good, it handles well, responds well, turns well. Very good boat for the money.

Some cons - if you have feet more than size 11 you will not fit in the boat. My feet barely do. The deck rigging, which I thought was neat at first, is not handy and I will have to re-string that. I hate the rear rubber hatch, but that is a personal issue. It is not overly speedy, but is suits my needs. Tracking is okay, not great.

So, good for the money. I will update this review as time goes on.

PS - Large men, 6 feet and above, 200+ lbs, should by longer boats, always. i think I should upgrade when the new Blackwater 13.5 comes out with the raised cockpit next year.