Submitted: 07-12-2004 by watkinsd

After buying and trying numerous yaks, I settled on the Tempest 165 Pro. Being a male at 5'10' and 150 lbs. many other yaks have cockpits that are too large -- including the Tempest 170. Prior to owning the Tempest, I had a WS Cape Horn 150 and a Perception Eclipse. The Tempest is a far superior yak in all aspects.

It tracks well, is easy to turn and put on its edge. Its primary and seconday stability is more than satisfactory. The cockpit fit is exceptional with the foot peds, the hip pads, the thigh supports and the seat all being easy to adjust and comfortable. I could not be more pleased.

I have yet to test the Tempest in "extreme" conditions as the current conditions here in NC are not very blustery. More later as I use what appears to be a winner.

By the way, the workmanship on the Tempest is outstanding. The fiber glass work is first class, the colors are bright and consistent and the elastic webbing is stong and well secured. I give the Tempest 165 Pro a 9 until I can test in more than normal conditions.

Portage Pal: