Submitted: 07-08-2004 by StevieWonder

I purchased an OT Penob 16 royalex boat about 2 months ago and have had it on 5 class I/II river trips in CO,UT, NE, and WY this summer. This is my first canoe. Although it is designed as a small tandem, I paddle it solo, sitting in the bow seat with stern facing forward. I am very satisfied with this boat.

I give it high marks for the following: (i) ruggedness, (ii) versatility (tandem or solo), (iii) weight (58 lb is light for a royalex boat this size), (iv) load capacity (easily handles multi-night trips), (v) good bang for buck (reasonably priced). Only two minor complaints: (i) the hull scratches easily, and (ii) the boat is difficult to handle when paddling it solo in windy conditions (this should not be an issue when paddling tandem, and might be less of an issue when paddling solo if the boat is heavily loaded). As a shorter 16 ft tandem, I think this boat would be ideal for one adult paddling with a child on day trips or over-niters of a few nites or even a week.

This boat has pretty good speed and I can keep up with most royalex boats of the same size even while I am soloing and they are tandem-paddled. However, this boat will not paddle as fast as the stream-lined kevlar boats of 16-17 foot length. At a boat weight of 58 lbs, I am able to load and unload it on my car by myself.