Submitted: 07-07-2004 by YD

I bought a brand new Clipper Tripper about 2 months ago in Kevlar. Red with Black trim. It came with a deep dish yoke that is very large and extremely comfortable. The yoke is stained black and matches very nicely with the boat. The tractor seats are incredibly comfortable. The bow seat slides to help not only to properly trim the boat but to assist the bow paddler to help wedge their feet up agains the flotation tank. The stern paddler can do the same with the foot brace. Why would anyone not want a foot brace?? The combination of the foot brace, the tractor seats and the thigh pads makes you feel like the canoe is a part of you. You could paddle this thing in complete darkness, in rough water and still keep it upright!! (as long as you didn't run into the rocks!) It's all about feeling the canoe's movement.

What a beautiful craft. Fit and finish is excellent. On the water this canoe moves very well. My wife and I were imediately impressed. With bent shaft paddles there is little effort to make this thing go and keep it going. It's very fast. We have paddled the Tripper in calm and rough conditions and have never once felt nervous. Wind does affect it's tracking (tends to turn perpendicular) if it's not loaded but I believe it will do better with a few hundred extra pounds. Initial stability is less than the "prospector" canoes that I've paddled in the past, but I would still rate it as "good". After a few outings it was no longer an issue. Final stability is excellent. On one choppy outing, my wife and I let the canoe drift with the 2'+ waves (perpendicular) and as mentioned before never felt nervous. Very stable!

I tried paddling this thing solo without much luck. The slightest amount of a breeze will have you frustrated in seconds. There's simply too much boat out of the water for that sort of application. The only way I could get any real control was to sit in the centre like in a kayak. But the reach to the water with the paddle is too much.

So now I'm in need of a solo canoe too!

All and all, we are very satisfied. I believe anyone looking for a tandem family / interior expidition / touring canoe would be a fool to not seriously consider this wonderful craft.

Piragis Northwoods: