Submitted: 07-02-2004 by RLC

I have spent 90% of my paddle time in rec boats (WS Pungo) and 10% of time in all the other sea kayaks I can get my hand on, and I've paddled many. The Capella is simple the perfect boat for me in every single way. PERIOD

It's the right fit, the right length, the right weight--lighter then the pungo in the hands by the way--better balance and easier to carry over a shoulder. It is totally stable just sitting in the water--coppy or still. It only partially wind cocks into a 10 knot wint with the skeg up and with the skeg down the sucker is solid on rails. I myself and very sensative to rocky boats which is why I really haven't liked many of the 15+ foot boats that I have paddled. The WS Tempest was a nice sports car of a boat but I couldn't sit still in that boat for a second without risking sure capsite.

I am not an experienced sea kayaker so bracing strokes, knee-up swift pinwheel turns, and laying it on it's side have been hard skills for me to master in other boats. In the Capella it's as if I've been paddling for 20 years--this is not a lie. I sat in put my paddle out just a bit and with a little flex completely laid it on it's side with the gunwall almost flat on the water. The sucker has great acceleration--and with a little lean and a nice big paddle blade I pulled that boat around in 30' circle which I consider to be pretty good.

The bottom line, no matter how good any review can be on any boat YOU have to sit in it and you have paddle it. Paddle boats side by side on the same day to really tell the differences. I like the Capella that now sick in my kayak rack. See you on the water.

Space Trailers :