Submitted: 07-01-2004 by Ictalurus

I was in the market for a fishing kayak a few month ago, and the Drifter was one of the ones I tried. I'm 6'5", 215lbs., and the boat was very comfortable. I'm a beginner, so I doubt my stroke is as efficient as it could be; however, I didn't find it as slow as others have mentioned, especially given its extreme stability. I also tried the Prowler, and I didn't think the Drifter was all that much slower. Unfortunately, I don't have a GPS to quantify the differences, but I bet they weren't much given my skill level. The Drifter also tracked well. The storage seemed ample. The biggest drawback, as everyone mentions, is how wet the ride is. I even tried the new "drier" model. Scupper plugs would fix it, but there are now several other kayaks for large paddlers concerned about stability to choose from (the Prowler, Wilderness Systems Ride, Hobie Outback, among others) and I would go with one of those unless the Drifter had some feature that the others didn't.

OS Systems: