Submitted: 06-25-2004 by yooperchic
This is an update of my review from 3 years ago. Though I stand by all of my previous comments, I have lowered my rating of this boat because of what I feel are sub-standard construction issues. The two major ones are the glued-in plastic bulheads (flimsy and just asking to leak) and poorly finished and ill-fitting hatch fittings. Though I have had only a very tiny leak in one bulkhead, the bulkhead construction is not up to the standards of any other fiberglass boat I have seen. Why not glass in the bulkheads?

The hatch fittings have been a problem for me (leaks) since the first year of owning the boat. They are not well fitted into the deck openings, are secured with only 4 screws, and in my boat at least were not well caulked. My rear compartment takes on a considerable amount of water whenever the rear deck gets reasonably wet, and it comes in right between the deck and hatch fitting. I have pulled the hatch off and recaulked it, but that has only helped marginally. Again, in examining many other brands of fiberglass boats, nearly all have much more carefully finished and sealed joints between the deck and hatch fitting.

One other more minor issue; I had the compass factory installed, and it was placed aft of the forward hatch. This placement not only impedes my ability to move the bulkhead forward and/or add a footpump, but also tends to induce neck strain and seasickness if I have to refer often to the too-closely positioned compass.

Now that I have paddled, examined, and learned about many more boats than I did when I first bought the Slipstream, I would think twice about buying another CD kayak, despite how much I like the design.