Submitted: 06-23-2004 by mtbkski

This is a follow up review to my first one about 2 months ago. Since that time I have had a chance to get the Jolt on flatwater lakes and some local rivers. Here is what I have found in the last two months.

First, I still love my Jolt. In fact I like it more everytime I hit the water with it. I keep finding little things that I like about this craft. Starting with the construction.This boat looks great.I get numerous comments on how cool this boat looks. The way it is designed and layed out is an attention getter. People will walk past other kayaks and come check mine out. The kayak feels like it is much studier than other kayaks on the market (I'm sure this is just an illusion, but people comment on it). The 3 layers that make up this kayak give it a different feel. Unlike the other kayaks that just feel like hard plastic. This kayak almost makes you think it is made out of fiberglass.

On flatwater I am now a beliver in a skeg. I did't think they made that big a difference till I had a chance to try one. And I really didn't think it would effect a boat of this size. I was wrong on both accounts. With the skeg down I am amazed at how well I track across a lake. Throw in the wind, and your really happy you have this little device. As mentioned in another review. I too, hit my hand on the black knob that holds the line to raise and lower the skeg. I was planning on moving it. But I have quit hitting it. So I am leaving it alone. With the skeg up, the Jolt does want to do a little waddle while paddling flat water, which you should expect from a kayak this short. With the skeg down. Don't expect to whip your craft around on a dime anymore. It makes turning a much longer process. Pull the skeg up and the Jolt almost spins in one spot. It cuts the water nicely and I find myself cruising along at a nice pace without much effort.

On the rivers the Jolt continues to impress me. It wants to go downstream. I find myself looking for bigger and bigger rapids to get into. This boat likes to play in the rapids and handles them well. I have surfed this boat with no effort. It seemed like it wanted to play in the rapids. It is quick to repond to a hip or foot action and when you add a paddle stroke it really moves around where you want it too. I still haven't tried rolling it. My buddies that roll their boats say it may be hard. But if you could get the knack of it, this kayak would rock in white water too.

The dry well, well isn't a dry well. I would call it a trunk. It keeps stuff dry as long as you stay upright. Tip and water gets in. It does provide a great place to keep stuff you don't want to lose if you decide to go for a swim. The bungees behind the seat have a nice hookup that makes straping stuff down to them a breeze. I just wish they were a bit bigger. But I guess that is what the trunk (not a drywell) is for.

The seat is adjustable in two ways. It will slide both forward and backwards on a bar that locks nicely into place at several locations as you move it. The seat is comfortable and I have spent many hours on the water and have very few complaints from my posterior. The seat back is adjustable and allows me to lean it back and just cruise or lean it forward to dig in and paddle. I do have to apply some oil to the skeg occasionally to give the spring loaded action a bit of help. But that isn't a big thing in my book and just falls under general maintinance.

My buddy who has the Jolt 11.5 said that if this boat had been out when he got his, he probably would have gone with it. I know I am very happy with the kayak.

The biggest complaint I have is how OT Sport handle the advertising for this kayak. The website does this kayak no justice. The picture they have listed sucks and the write up sounds like the guy who wrote it probably never had the kayak on the water. I have wrote and told them that. Before you buy another kayak. Try to find a place to demo htis boat. I personally belive you will be very happy with this boat. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be.

Feel free to e-mail me and ask any questions that you may have.