Submitted: 06-22-2004 by waltman

Sevylor also markets a boat based on the tahiti called "The Ranger." It is green in color, not that hideous yellow or orange, and has a protective polyester (spelling) hull cover with two tracking fins on it. This does help to control that donut feel. When the cover gets soaked there is an extra layer of water, adding bouyancy that really helps in the ride. Because of this, the boat more or less has a flat bottom like a hardshell kayak and can really fly across the water. I have kept up with hardshells before, though I am a strong paddler. It is much better than the regular Tahitis, including the orange torpedo. I had one of those that was a curse, but the Ranger is relaxing. It also goes anywhere and you do not winch and fear a puncture when that unseen rock or tree stump snags the boat from below. I've done rapids and rivers with it and the boat cruises across the swells. The seating can be designed better, but, oh, well, I love the Ranger. I just improvise and it works well for me. It inflates and deflats in minutes. Like the Tahitis it can carry two, though I would be really squeezed with another person of the same size in there. The Ranger is an excellent and versatile inflatable kayak/canoe, much better than the regular Tahitis, for about $200.00.