Submitted: 06-17-2004 by Paul

Just finished my first couple weeks of Quest ownership and I'm pleased. FIrst some background. I'm 5'11" and weigh 230#. Years of lifting weights resulted in some rather thick thighs but I have no cockpit fit issues. Note if you have a big butt you might find the seat a bit snug. I'm a beginner to intermediate level paddler who likes to go on exploration paddles and plans to race a bit.

On to the boat. Construction is very good with no glass issues. I did get a boat with a very leaky forward hatch at the ring/deck interface. One call to the importers sorted this. THey were very helpful and are sending me the sealant so I can take care of it. THey are sending it at my request as I live some distance away from a dealer. The seat is good for me comfort-wise though I may tilt it slightly forward from the stock position. THis is easy to do. I would like to see the backband altered a bit to allow it to be tightened a bit more. The existing method limits when the strap comes away from the combing at 90 degrees. Could move the backstrap mounting screws If needed but should really have to. None the less with the seatback as tight as I can get it I'm OK. As for performance I'm very happy. Stability is a bit tippy initially and I would not call the secondary stability a wall. I do find that the stability is fine for me and I'm a loading worst case and a relative beginner as well. The skep control is a non issue as it just works and that is enough said. I would like to see a bit more area on the skeg though. With the skeg up boat weathercocks or wanders bow into the wind. As the skeg is lowered this tendancy is reduced until the tracking is pretty solid. If the skeg was bigger you could drop it until the boat wandered bow downwind. THis would be useful at times. As is we me paddling and no cargo in a 30 know sidewind the skeg needs to be 90 to 100% down to hold course. Speedwise I find that a good cruising speed is easy. I would not call the boat fast so much as quick to accelerate.

All in all I love the boat and would recommend it to others. Good quality, quick acceleration and good importer support. I would like to see the backband adjustability altered and a bit more skeg but that is all.