Submitted: 06-16-2004 by Dr. Michael W. Popejoy

I have owned a Prowler by Ocean Kayak for about 6 months now and I have had it in fresh water (lakes and streams) and salt water (Intracoastal Waterway and Atlantic Ocean). My particular boat is set up for fishing with two rod holders molded in the hull as purchased. I have added a large back cushioned seat with two additional rod holders built into the seat and a deck compass as well as several battery powered electronic devices(I am a gear guy)which fits quite well into the center deck moldings. I own five kayaks and the Prowler is my favorite but with some reservations. It is a large boat, but I am a large person (plus my survival pak weighs in at over 50 pounds--never leave home without it) so I need the carrying capacity of a big boat. This boat is both heavy and awkward to lift. It really takes two people to get this bad boy into the water without risking a back injury or worse. And, this boat absolutely needs a rudder which is an expensive addition whether it is ordered with the boat or retrofitted. But, without it, the Prowler has the turning radius of a nuclear powered aircraft carrier. Finally, when the boat is loaded to near its carrying capacity, it is more easily swamped by the wake generated by real boats with big motors who race up and down the Intracoastal Waterway. I am not a marine engineer but I believe it is because of the smooth curved molding on the spash deck and hull. I have seen other kayaks with higher, sharper splash decks and hulls that seem to handle the bigger waves and wakes better.

I am going to buy more kayaks because one can never have enough, but so far the Prowler is my favorite boat and as long as I keep carrying it to and from the water, I never have to go the gym.