Submitted: 06-16-2004 by jonsprag1
I have taken my plastic Tempest out in a variety of conditions now and my opinion remains the same---it's very good. I am relativly comfortable with it in rough seas(compared to my old perception vizcaya), like the speed and particularly like the skeg--much better than a rudder--it helps me go in a straight line, avoid windcocking and at the same time remained braced inside the kayak---a difficult thing to do with loose rudder pedals. If I had to fix one thing it would be the hatch covers. They are fine when the boat remains upright even in rough seas but when I roll with it a little water gets in the front and day hatches and a little more in the rear hatch(although it may be that I wasn't carful in closing it) I certainly don't have the fear of death that one of the reviewers below did---there was just a smidgen of water in the front and day hatches and less then a pint in the rear and that was after rolling about 15 times. Also all the covers stayed on---they were nowhere close to falling off and at that rate I would have had to roll 100 times before the water reached a level to effect the boats boyancy--my advice would be to keep your camping equipment in dry bags and make sure that the hatch covers are sealed by pushing the rubber down over the lip before the bungee cord goes on. Incidently I met a Registered Master Maine Sea Kayaking Guide while paddling last week end and he told me that this problem with the hatch covers is typical of so called British Design boats. He was paddling a Current Designs with similar type hatches and hull design as the Tempest.