Submitted: 06-15-2004 by Bill68
I really like my nomad, It is my first kayak. (I have been paddling canoes for about 20 yrs.). I was looking for a Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 170. I wanted a plastic boat because of river and shore use and cost was also a factor. I needed a large cockpit for comfort as I am 6'3" tall and 230 lbs. the Cape Horn was comfy but the thigh braces made it hard to slide in and out of. the lack of braces was a real seller on the Nomad and I am plenty able to knee/ thigh brace my Nomad. it is stable especially at speed. I think its fast but have no other kayak rides to compare it to. the rudder makes it turn really good in all conditions I have been in. the seat is nice with the high back. this boat can take plenty of gear for a weekend long river camp trip if you pack smart. and the deck cording is plentiful. the only problem is lack of dealers. ( try Old Town ). and maybe it would be hard to brace if your under 5'10" or of really thin build. like I said I have only this kayak for experience and as I gain experience I may out grow it but for now I have a blast and feel it is fast and stable and handles well. I just load my gear and hit the water and have fun. thats the main thing I wanted. also it is a an attractive kayak . mine is red. whatever you pick , get a kayak you like and fits well. until then your missing all the fun. I hope I have helped you out.