Submitted: 06-09-2004 by G. Wang

I've owned a fiberglass Meridian for the last 7 years. It is one of the early models without a skeg. I do most of my paddling in San Francisco bay's currents, stiff summer breezes, and inadverently in winter storms. My boat has also been in the surf zone and whalewatching in the pacific. In all these years I've never found my boat wanting. I've always felt my skills were the limiting factor, not the boat. The boat turns when edged, rides following seas, and is easy to roll. I still look forward to growing into my Meridian. Yes, the boat weathercocks in some conditions, but I've never paddled a boat that didn't. Paddle strokes and boat lean were always sufficient to hold a course in wind. There is a slow leak in the rear compartment, but not enough for me to fret over (I should fix it, though). Perhaps I'll look into the lauded British designs when my Meridian gets retired. Until then I'll gladly paddle my Meridian.