Submitted: 05-31-2004 by mitche
After looking a bit for an inflatable kayak we could throw in the trunk of our car, my wife and I settled on an Advanced Elements Dragonfly2. We have used the kayak several times now in different flatwater conditions (I would not even harbor a thought of using this kayak in anything above class I) and have been generally satisfied with the performance and quality, with a few exceptions. The stern seating position is too cramped for anyone over 5'6" (I am 6'). Since I have to sit in the front, I have to complain about the fact that the center of the boat sagged and left my bottom in the water which inevitably accumulates in the bottom of the boat. I also have issue with the placement of the seams on the outer shell, they were in the right place to wear my knuckles off. I reduced the pain by applying duct tape over the seams before each trip. The only other beef I have is that there is almost no room to pack anything with two people in the boat, but we bought it for short trips, so that is not a major complaint for us.

The permanently attached skeg on the rear of the kayak seems to help the boat track well, but does significantly increase the draft needed to keep from dragging bottom, something we had some problems with in the shallow marshes we sometimes paddle in. The kayak folds right up and actually fits in the roomy bag provided with room to spare for the good quality 4-piece rec paddles and bellows pump which came with the package we purchased. Overall we are satisfied with our purchase, but I still prefer to use my hardshell when taking it on a trip is possible. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive inflatable kayak for short trips on flatwater, this could be the ticket.