Submitted: 05-31-2004 by DrChad

I just got a good deal on a new, last years model of the Inuvik and have had it out a couple of times. This kayak isn't anything fancy but is a straight forward solid kayak. It tracks nice, is easy to propel and with the slight vee bottom it has good primary and secondary stability. The larger upswept bow is definately a plus when crossing deeper lakes that are a bit choppy. It does a nice job of riding up and over the waves and also wake from large motorboats. I think without a skirt I would have gotten wet in other kayaks with a lower profile bow design. The wind did have a slight effect as a result of the bow design but I mostly noticed it when I was drifting while fishing. Fishing from this kayak is also a blast with plenty of room for poles and gear and good stability for landing the fish. I plan to begin outfitting the Inuvik with fishing accessories soon starting with paddle holders. The only negative comment I have is the design and style of the seat. I have read that all new models are equipped with a new inflateable seat cushon design which mine does not have. At the outfitter I was dissappointed with the confort of the seat and was preparing to replace it directly, however once I had it on the water and had my lifevest on, it was nicely confortable so I'll probably perform only minor alterations. Overall, great kayak for the price and for that reason it is a good one to play around with aftermarket customization and rigging, especially for fishing. All I have to say is: imaging fishing from your livingroom recliner... That's not too far from the reality of kayak fishing!