Submitted: 05-27-2004 by KEL

I am a new comer to kayaks, having decided to make the jump from C-2 canoes which I have paddled for years on novice to class 2 streams. I went to a dealer and indicated that I was looking for an all round kayak that could be paddled on flat water but which I could use on whitewater as well. He recommended the Jolt 101.

I have certainly not been disappointed. Admittedly, I have little to compare it to since my only other experience in a kayak was a few short stints in a 15 year old fiberglass boat (very uncomfortable and difficult to track on flat water). The Jolt 101 has met all the needs: it tracks well in flat water (with or without the drop skeg down); it maneuvers extremely well in whitewater; it is comfortable to sit in for long periods (it has room to move one's knees and has a comfortable seat); it is light enough for me to easily handle on my own; it is very stable; and it can be easily be paddled and controlled by my 11 and 10 year old daughters. As an added bonus, it has a convenient storage compartment which eliminates the need for a dry bag. In fact the only minor nit I have with the boat is that the forward attachment for the skeg cord has an annoying way of catching my left hand if I don't keep my hand off the boat when paddling. However, I think I can fix this with little duct tape to smooth the edge.

I have not tried to roll the boat and I have a feeling that this will not be a good boat for me to learn to do so. However, as consolation, the cockpit is large enough to allow for a quick exit if necessary. In short, although I have little to compare it to, the Jolt 101 is everything I wanted and needed in my first kayak.