Submitted: 10-08-1999 by samelnyk
I just got this boat recently (within the week). As a result, my review is going to be somewhat superficial. However, I got this boat for several reasons -- I was looking for a British style kayak; I wanted a boat that used a skeg; and, I got a pay raise (so I had a bit of money available). Given my other boats and two unique requirements (I am big and I wanted something that a beginner like myself could use), the search was narrowed to two boats - P&H Sirius and Current Design Gulfstream. I could fit in both boats but was more comfortable in the Current Design. Finally, based on total cost, I decided to go with the Current Design. I am now glad that I did.

This boat is beautifully made -- it is almost flawless in construction. I took it on the water today (where we experiencing a 10-15 kph wind with gusts up to 25. The boat performed beautifully. I was surprised (pleasantly) by the initial stability. The reviews had led me to believe that it was a tippy boat with great secondary stability. This boat has more than adequate initial stability. However, it loves to be put on its edge. The impact of the skeg is very noticeable. With the skeg down, the boat tracks -- it is hard to turn it; with the skeg up, the boat is highly manuevrable. It took small beam waves with an unbelievable ease. I was fighting the wind and the waves, but not the boat.

I am very pleased with it and would strongly recommend it to anyone who wants a boat that they will hard pressed outgrow. Lets put it this way -- if I had only one boat to own, this is the one that I would keep.

It beautifully marries the best of North American and British design. Finally, for the record, it is a Derek Hutchinson designed boat -- I now see why there is such a mystique about these boats.