Submitted: 05-25-2004 by Jim H

I very much agree with the 05/20/2004 review. This is my first canoe and I did a lot of research before purchasing it. I live in southwest Wisconsin and my main use will be fishing and recreational paddling on small lakes and rivers. It really works great for that.

I wanted something very stable (secondary stability), good tracking, durable, big enough for my family, small enough for solo, and low price. It may be too big for some to solo, but it's OK for me.

The 2 kids (age 9 & 12) do quite well in it fishing. For now, I bungy cord a 'low to the ground' type lawn chair just ahead of the thwart for a 3rd seat.

It is quite heavy to load by myself, so I purchased a 4 wheeled canoe dolly that straps on either end of the canoe. Due to the more oval shape at the bow & stern, I had to add some padding to the dolly to get a tight fit. Now, I can strap it on, walk it to my car, flip it over on the other set of wheels and roll it onto the car roof.

I don't have a roof rack, so I attach those foam canoe pads to the gunwales and put a 'roller' underneath which allows me to put one end on the car roof. I then pick up the end on the ground and the roller moves the canoe forward until it falls off onto the hood. The 'roller' is a long broom handle type of stick, covered with black 1" foam insulating covers used for your home's water pipes. It isn't ideal but it makes solo loading much easier.

In order to fish the Wisconsin River by myself, I purchased a MinnKota Endura 55 transom trolling motor. I flip the boat around, sitting in the bow and put the battery in the stern. Plenty of power to go several miles upstream and float back.

Lastly I purchased two SitBacker chairs. They are very comfortable and fit the molded seats, even if used backwards for solo canoeing.