Submitted: 05-20-2004 by Big Dee

I love my Guide 160. It is a great boat for what I want from it...If you want this boat for the same reason I do, you will love it too. I want it for small lakes, big ponds, slow rivers and nothing over class I fast water. It turns like a pig. It's heavy. It's tough as a Patton tank! I use it to fish for smallmouth bass and trout on the New River and small lakes in North Carolina and two and three day canoe camping trips on the same. It hold a lot of gear. I tracks GREAT. If you want to do whiteater in this boat, you're susicidal. If you want speed and sportyness, go else where. This boat wan't designed for those things, the Old Towne brochures even say so! I t was designed for people who want a steady, not tippy canoe, kinda like a fishing guide (hint hint) would want to take a client fishing or duck hunting in a canoe. Thus the stability chines that make the boat almost fourty inches wide at the waterline. I only have two complaints. I consider them valid and wish Old Towne would address them.

1. The front seat is too close to the front of the canoe, making my wifes feet be jammed up into the bow when we travel. I am going to buy an aftermarket wicker seat and drill some new holes in the gunnels to move the front seat back about six inches so she'll shut up about it... the reasonfor this is that Old Towne uses the same molded seat for all it's so equipped canoes, and the Guide boat gets wider quicker, which mean the standard seat has to be bolted in closer to the front of the boat. Also, you can't sit backward comfortably in the molded seat, but not a complaint for me, cuse when I solo, I always have gear in the front keeping the nose down.

2. There is no readily available aftermarket seat that will fit in the middle of the boat like the other Old Townes, again due to the width of the boat. If you want a middle seat (a good idea-this boat can take it) you have to buy a wood and wicker one, cut chop and drill and fit. Other Old Townes can use the plastic aftermarket seat that Old Towne sells that can be snapped down on top of the gunnels and removed just as fast, which is way cool if you have an unexpedted or short notice third party...

Other than those two specific things, this boat is a classic FOR WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR! If you intend on using it outside it's designed parameters, you will hate the boat and rate it low. It is not a Discovery 168 or a Expedition boat, this is not your choice. I f you want safe, stable, fishing, day or two day tripping slow ater boat, go for it!