Submitted: 05-20-2004 by Shamiyim

I purchased my Khat in September of 2001 just before leaving the US for undetermined time. When I first put it together I was overwhelmed with all the parts!! (after a few assemblies and disassemblies my time was down to 35min.) After paddling fiberglass kayaks I really liked the #44 weight of the kayak. First paddle was on the Oregon coast and after getting used to the chined hull was very impressed with the way it handled the choppy water almost like a flexing board, yet stiff enough that it did not slow down my forward motion. I have found the kayak to be as fast if not faster then my fiberglass kayaks which for me means kayaking all day at 3.5-4mph with not a lot of effort. In three years I have installed the rudder once just to see how it works? It's ok, but found that the kayak handles well with slight correction strokes even in strong crosswinds. Comfort is fantastic!, I am a lightweight at 165lbs but at 6'2" I have been cramped in some kayaks. The Khats seat is super! I travel and paddled Israel, Greek Islands, Europe, parts of the Sea of Cortez and the Gulf of Mexico with this kayak, it has been in and out of the backpack many times and stayed stored in the pack for a few months, I let it sit in the sun for an hour to let the skin soften out and back together. I found the backpack excellent(when you consider an 18Ft kayak inside)and with the hippads and straps not uncomfortable to use ( would not want to carry it to far). To sum it up! The best for the buck! Expensive but worth the money if you are a traveler.