Submitted: 05-19-2004 by jcstarn

This is my first kayak and I have found it to be an excellent first choice. I am only 5'3 and have no problems lugging this boat by myself as it is very lightweight and length-wise is small enough to fit in my Saturn Vue with the rear hatch on the car completely shut.I am new at kayaking, but have been out enough to know how it feels to paddle in one kayak or another and I like the way this kayak handles.I tried a few out at a local kayak festival last month and was immediately hooked on the Santee for price and looks.I ended up buying it on the spot and have enjoyed using it over the last month in the local rivers and lakes.While trying it out another kayaker told me he was in a local club and several members of the club have bought and used the Santee and have only good things to say about it as well.I doubt a person could do better for the price if they are looking for a fairly inexpensive stable beginners boat. If I had to have one word of caution it would be keep in mind that the width of this boat is 30 inches and a short paddle will hit the side of the boat when paddling. I found out after I bought a 220 cm Aquabound paddle. I would recommend this boat and a longer paddle to anyone just starting out or wanting a small, light boat to paddle around lakes, streams and coastal areas.