Submitted: 05-17-2004 by JK

Although I have only had my Peregrine a short time, I feel I know enough about now it to write a fair review. It was a bit of a leap of faith for me to buy the boat, since I did not test paddle it before buying. Hemlock Canoe works is about 600 miles from me and uses no dealers. I made my decision to buy the Peregrine based on research and on the well-known reputation of Dave Curtis. My original plan was to drive up and test paddle it, but with gas at $2 a gallon I decided to have it shipped instead. Dave did a great job of wrapping the boat and it arrived without a scratch. The first thing that impressed me was the quality of workmanship. My boat is the premium layup in gleaming white, with ash gunwhales and walnut decks. The overall woodwork is very good with nice details like scuppered decks and bevelled edges. The Kevlar/carbon fiber cloth appears to have been carefully layed up, and even the indside of the boat is very attractive. She weighs in at 33 lbs. The Peregrine is designed for lake paddling, but would do well on larger rivers as well. The secondary stability is outstanding. The boat tracks well, and when leaned will carve a decent turn. And man, she is fast! She slices through the water like a knife and has excellent glide. Dave mounts the seat high, which is ideally suited for kneeling and using a straight shaft paddle (my personal preference). However, it would also be possible to sit and use a bent shaft as well. I deliberately turned the boat parallel to approaching powerboat wakes to see what happened, and the boat took them without giving me any cause for alarm. The Peregrine is fast, predictable, and beautiful. She is going with me on an extended trip this summer to Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. I am anxious to see how she does with a week's worth of gear. I am certain that she will be a joy to carry on the portage trail. I would recommend the Peregrine to any intermediate to advanced paddler looking for a fast flatwater tripper. I think that giving a boat a score of 10 requires something special, and in this case I feel it is deserved.