Submitted: 05-17-2004 by wet_one
Well, we finally received our Aquanauts, and we are more than pleased. Starting out I have to specify that we are both beginners. I have been out with my wife a couple of times and she found the boat very stable, and it tracked very well for her. She has been in currents up to 2 knots and had no problems manoeuvring and was quite comfortable. I have also been out several times alone in more 'challenging' conditions, one excursion of 9 nautical miles, out and back, in winds to 20 knots with whitecaps and current. The kayak handled very well and I made good use of the skeg on the crosswind portions of the journey. On the downwind portion the kayak surfed very well and accelerated easily to catch the waves. Another small trip of about 6 nautical miles on the St Lawrence river, current to two knots with some wind. The kayak performed very well, even when traversing two areas of confused water and clapotis to 2 feet at the points of a couple of islands. The kayak went through like a knife through butter, but I am not used to getting hit in the chest like that by the waves. I did get to practice my braces. The description and specifications for the aquanaut mention that it is a boat for small to medium size paddlers, but don't believe it. I am 6' 210 lbs and it fits me very well. I had the front bulkhead placed at 34 inches, with no foot pegs or rails and the cockpit is very comfortable. It is a Greenland style boat so the space isn't enormous, but it is certainly adequate for tripping. There is also lots of space in the front and rear compartments, and with the day hatch there is more than adequate for expeditioning. The only downside is that the boats are a little heavy. Getting them onto or off of the roof racks on a pathfinder is a little tough, especially when I go out alone.

PFD Buyers' Guide: