Submitted: 10-06-1999 by samelnyk
This was the first kayak that I ever bought. It was a great kayak to learn in because it was stable (with its beam, it couldn't help but be stable) and forgiving. However, it was a boat with a mind of its own. Without the rudder, I found that I could not really control the boat. If you buy this boat, buy it with the rudder. In addition, compared with other kayaks, the seating was not as good -- it also looked "chintzy."

The major reason for the lower rating involved the support that I received from Wildwasser -- the North American distributor. Over the winter, I bought a rudder for the Yukon. Early in the year, the cable on the rudder separated. It took me numerous telephone calls and 5 shipments (all but the last with the wrong length cable) before the problem was fixed. The people tried to be helpful but they were not every effective.

In short, if you are a learner or a big person or someone who is going to do a variety of paddling, this is a decent boat to consider. However, it does need a rudder. In my opinion, there are better boats out there.