Submitted: 05-11-2004 by Philip

I have had a Hobie Mirage since 1999. I have totally enjoyed it and find it to be essentially well built. I did have what appeared to be a minor problem with one of the pedal cam locks which broke in half. Unfortunately, the stainless bolt that held it in place was cross threaded into the brass anchor embedded in the hull. In the process of trying to back out the bolt, the entire anchor started to move and there was absolutely no way to get the bolt out to make the very simple repair. As a result, I had to pay for an entirely new hull! The kayak was still under warrranty. I cannot say that this was a very satisfactory outcome and I would probably not buy another Hobie product again. Their customer service was hardly sympathetic and I did not cross thread this bolt since I never had the need to remove it until the cam cracked. Glad to see all the other reviewers have had better luck with their Hobie product.