Submitted: 05-11-2004 by D. A. Kaudel

I own an 18’ Kevlar sea kayak as well and I was looking for another boat to take along in a rental RV on our yearly RV vacation. This boat appealed to me because it is so versatile with more possibilities than a regular inflatable kayak. I am 6’3” and bought the bigger 435-paddleski version. Cecil of Seaegle recommended it for my size. The folks at Seaeagle were very helpful and a joy to deal with. I actually bought the entire package so I can paddle, row, motor or sail my paddleski. The boat is build very solid and it is huge! Still it stows away quite small. All accessories and everything is good quality. A great toy for a man. The most fun I am having with the sailing kit. This really lets you “zip around” pretty well. The boat is easy to sail, fast and is surprisingly stabile. It sails already with very little wind but I had it out with 17 mph wind as well and the boat still handled fine. Rowing comes in second on my fun scale - I have the sliding seat and the more expensive oars. The boat rows pretty fast. It took me a little to get the “sculling” motion right. I can get it up around 4 or 4.5 mph on average. It is quite enjoyable to paddle as well. The paddleski of course cannot match the speed and ease of paddling of my 18’ Kevlar sea kayak, but it sure paddles better, straighter and easier than any other inflatable kayak I have ever tried. I got a special 9-foot paddle especially made which I find the appropriate length for me in this boat. It is an extremely safe boat to paddle. I also got myself a nice saltwater Minn Kota electric motor. One battery charge gets me about 4 hours of continuous operation and 5mph top speed. One thing I would recommend at any rate is the “Tall Back Kayak Seat”. This one is VERY comfortable! I can spend way more time in this one than in my sea kayak seat. For sailing, this seat sits you lower than the standard model and having an as low as possible center of gravity is beneficial for sailing especially in higher wind. I am really happy with my paddleski and I am looking forward for much more fun coming up on the water.