Submitted: 05-10-2004 by wildernesswebb
Bought this boat last fall ('03) when they first became available. Same hull as the Loon 138 with a good camo scheme and a few extra "Bells and Whistles." Owned the Loon 138 before I bought this one. Stability, primary and secondary are excellent. Takes a lot to swamp this boat. Tracking is very good, and paddles well for a 29.5" wide boat. I have no problem keeping up with others in "Sleeker" hulls, when I'm not watching wildlife or fishing. Turning takes some muscle, but I still use this primarily on twisty Ozark streams. Hull is very tough, I can pull the boat up on a gravel bar and sit on it for lunch (all 250 lbs of me) withought any qualms. VERY few boats I would do this to. Hate to use the term "Bomb proof," but it fits this hull well. Now, for theose "Bells and whistles." The work deck is well made and very handy, but has one major design flaw. It straps on fore and aft. No problem strapping it on fore, but I have modified mine with velcro attached to the hull and straps for the aft straps. I did this so it will tear away from the cockpit and prevent entrapment in a capsize. I hope OT changes this. The hole for the rod holder has a "Cap" to cover it when rod holder not used. This cap frequently "Pops" off. The rod holder is fine for sitting and fishing, but somewhat in the way for trolling. The anchor set up works well, but I would caution against if for use on rivers with strong currents. If the anchor hangs up on rock or debris in current, you could be swamped if you don't cut the anchor line. On lakes, or rivers with slower current, it would be fine. The accessory tray that velcros the the bottom of the hull wasn't attached well, and is really unneccesary except to use when hunting as it holds shotgun shells and another cup holder (you already have one cup holder in the work deck). As for the seat, I wish they would have upgraded it as they did for the other Loons for '04. It is hard plastic and needs padding (I use a gell pad) but does provide plenty of back support. I am thinking of adding the padding kit, that will make it more comfortable for long hours in the saddle. There are no bulkheads in this boat, so I would suggest adding floatation. I have floatation bags supplemented with pool noodles aft, and put a dry bag with gear in the front. This is an excellent hull for fishing and hunting out of. The reason I give it an "8" is due to the seat and the fact that the accessories could have been better thought out.