Submitted: 05-06-2004 by John

Took my first ride on 5/5/04 in Illinois. Went on Du Page River (calm), Des Plaines (heavy, commercial river), then portaged over and dropped it into the historic Illinois & Michigan Canal (smooth as glass) for the return trip.

The Pungo handled the heavy chop of the Des Plaines with no problem. Easily sliced through the rough parts, tracked straight, and moved quickly. In the future, I would add a spray skirt to avoid getting a little splash on windy days. On the I&M canal, I really cranked it up, and it sliced through the water. Very nice.

The seat was wonderfully comfortable. Plenty of storage behind the seat. Have not even put anything into the dry well yet, which stayed dry even when I hosed it off after the trip (so the seal works).

The boat is a little tippy if you lean too much but I attribute that to the v-shaped hull, which gives you more speed and solid tracking.

There was plenty of room in front of me. You could easily put a child, dog or coyote in there.

One thing I have not seen posted before is the adjustable footpads. I really like that you can adjust them with your hand (sliding them forward and back), rather than trying to do the "Foot Doodle" thing of trying to release and push it forward or pull back before it locks in.

Just by chance, I met up with another Kayaker who had a Pungo, which was 10 yrs. old. He stared at my new one with awe, and I stared at his, knowing that I look forward to a decade of solid use by this kayak.

I had no problems lifting it up and down. Weighs about 50 pounds.