Submitted: 05-05-2004 by Tejas

I have owned the Eclipse 17.0 for a year and a half now and have enjoyed it very much. I have the plastic version, though I would have bought the composite version if I had the money. The Eclipse has proved to be a fast, comfortable boat with plenty of room for gear. It is also quite manouvarable if put on edge and the transition from initial to secondary stability is quite smooth owing to the rounded hull. My friend's Necky turns faster when put on edge but I guess I prefer the feel of a rounded hull better than one with hard chines. I installed Smartrack rudders from Sealine because the Yakima rudders that came with the boat were a piece of junk. The Smartrack rudders are standard on the composite version. The "gas pedal" style footpegs allow me to brace hard without worrying about initiating a turn with the ruddder. The outfitting is nice but not as nice as the composite version. The seat and thighbraces are comfortable, though I wish I could move them relative to each other. Teh hatches are pretty waterproof, though a little water does get through sometimes. My wife and I went on a multi day trip in the Saguanay Fjord in Quebec and the Eclipse performed wonderfully. There was soem bad weather with 5-6 waves and high wind but I felt very comfortable in the Eclipse. The only downfall is that it is quite heavy (70 lbs) and the scrated up plastic hull is starting to generate a bit of grag. But I guess that's what you get with a plstaic boat. All in all a greta tourign kayak and probably the best you can get for a plastic boat.