Submitted: 05-03-2004 by dmacy
I largely agree with the first post. We have a pair of Impexes and have used a single locally made J-hook on a Yakima rack on a Civic for about a year. This worked great, she'd put hers in the cradle and I'd strap mine onto the backside, no problems. One day she was having trouble reaching the straps and asked me to help. I had just placed mine on the rack and leaned it against the hooks. As I grabbed the strap, and wobbled the car, I saw, in very very slow motion, my kayak begin to roll away and off the rack, onto the concrete below. $700 dollars later I've got a water-worthy yak again, and a new pair of Yakima Hull raisers. They're great. Sturdy as all, nicely padded, and I can tip them down to make room for the windsurfboard. I'd give them a 9 if it wasn't for one annoying tidbit. I can't reach the hook to put the strap on w/o climbing all over the car. The locally made pair and nice and tall, which makes putting hte strap through easy, not so the Yakima. Why didn't you buy another local pair you ask? They're really made for wider yaks and at 21"... Yep, I like and would buy them again. I just gotta come up with a way to cheat the strap on...