Submitted: 04-29-2004 by andrew

Assuming you are a somewhat experience kayaker, you don’t need a rudder with this boat, especially if two people are paddling, but the removable skeg (extra) does help tracking. I also added some rings for more grab points and extral lines for equipment. You can put in two small drybags fore and aft and add extra equipment on the mid section compartment. I would reiterate everything said so far about its whitewater limitations and bailing out hurtling down a class III is no picnic. I think this boat excels on moderate water assuming no breaking waves—again no picnic and no pump could keep up with oncoming water. In calm seas it’s also fine but you do need two paddlers to get good speed, almost keeping up with 14’ hardshells. Using the backpack it comes with is akin to carrying a large potato sack with two straps sewn on-- it’s a streeeetch to say it’s easy to backpack. Maybe in my old age lugging 40 plus pounds on my back over rough terrain is the cardiac workout I don’t need. Would have given it 10 but no boat deserves that and people are too charitable around here. Look at the “theboatpeople” website and it will provide you with a wealth of info on most inflatables made today.