Submitted: 04-29-2004 by JDriller

I just got back from a Class 3 whitewater camping trip in my Helios. It is a very nice boat; well built and designed. Turns easily and tracks well. Does not catch wind. Fairly stable. It really is NOT a boat for class 3 however. Solo you are too far back and tandem your prow would be too low. The low prow and non-self bailing mean you have to stop after every several waves to drain. The way it is designed means you cannot bail from inside the boat. You would absolutely take in too much water to safely maneuver if you were going through a long set of rapids. I had thought I could cut the central thwart out and make it more a solo boat when I needed one but, while possible, this would not work well. I had returned my new boat 2x before I got an undamaged one - but the Seattle company did that without complaint. I tried getting some add ons (more glue on straps) from the manufacturer but they never followed through after repeated emails. That said, I fly past people in other IKs and canoes on class 2s...