Submitted: 04-29-2004 by Bill Stevenson

This is a follow-up to my original report two years ago. More experienced now, I still can find little to fault with the Millenium. It is a big, powerful kayak. I have never had trouble keeping pace even with younger, stronger paddlers. The one area where this boat is not great in that lightly loaded, it is a serious handful in the wind. The skeg helps, but I have considered changing to a rudder, for which the manufacturer offers a kit. I can't comment on the rudder, but here in Florida where we get a bit of wind it has a certain appeal. Other than the wind issue, though, the boat is ideal on the ocean. As I mentioned before, it goes on edge very well, turns easily considering the length (18'3"), and tracks well when straight. The skeg is not needed unless the wind is really howling. The hatches have proven to be bone dry even when I was learning to roll and spent more time upside down than right side up. The day hatch is accessable without too much trouble while sitting in the cockpit. The Millenium is proving to be very durable, there has been no trouble with it of any kind. At 50 pounds it is a handful to carry single handed, especially if it is windy. A lighter version would be worthwhile for wimps like me, although for expedition service the fiberglass is more practical. This is still the nicest kayak I have had the pleasure of paddling. It is truly beautiful on the water. I get favorable comments everywhere I go with it. A classy boat. Highly recommended.